Skip to main content

Update: 5 Things On The 5th (July 2018)

All right, all right! I totally forgot I was supposed to post this on the 5th, but I'm only one day late and I spent last night hanging with my partner and CATS. The point is that I'm doing it still.

  1. I started my Generator Card collection -- properly, this time. I had a few before, but not a binder to put them in. For those not in the know, Generator Cards are from Sound Voltex, you can get them printed off at Round One locations when you play Voltex, and it's a very physical reminder of how much I love Bemani. Even if I'm not the biggest Voltex fan (I have a bunch of the Grafica cards).
  2. I got hit! Normally getting rear-ended wouldn't go on a list like this, but what's important about it is that I'm proud of how I handled it. I didn't freak out, I used my head, and I'm now being smart as far as getting my car fixed and adulting. It's a huge confidence booster and it's increased my own trust of myself. 
  3. I played something other than a sonatina on the piano all the way through for the first time since graduation. Makes me realize there truly are only a few things left to conquer...and I've reached the end of my road, and I know I can push it further. I'm sure I'll talk about it more on here as things go on, but for now, it's a secret-secret :)
  4. I finally, FINALLY let go of the new abusive relationship I found myself in (friendship, not Mikkun) to the point where I'm no longer thinking about them all the time. There's deconstruction to be done, and chaos (uh, LOTS of chaos -- more on that later) but I'm actually looking forward to it, one step at a time. Goodbye, love. Get yourself some help on the way out.
  5. I haven't missed a single step day since June 1st. I feel GREAT. Probably not losing any weight, but it proved I can set up new habits. Day by day, baby.

Popular posts from this blog

Speed: Why I'm (Still) A Roller Coaster

On August 16, 2005, I became a roller coaster. Now, I should mention before that I’ve written about this before. On my old website, I posted an entire series about a bunch of weird things that happened to me in the summer of 2005. It all culminated in me thinking I became a roller coaster. And while I can most certainly say I’m not a hunk of metal four hundred and twenty feet up in the sky, I have a better understanding of why I claimed that as my identity for so long -- and why I’m daring to reclaim it. Buckle up, folks, literally. By the time you’re done with this post, I will not be the same. -- Since the original post is no longer live, I’m gonna pull a couple of things from it and post them here. We go back to August 16, 2005. I was seventeen years old, at Cedar Point with friends, and the day was ending: Solo queue time was a time of reflection. Just four months earlier, my father had condemned me (for being a lesbian) and my mother had misunderstood me. Since then, God had chang

Music - F*ck 30/90, Hey!

As I'm writing this I have about an hour and 45 minutes left in my 20's here on the East Coast. And I realized I'd be remiss if I let my 30th birthday approach without talking about tick, tick...BOOM! (And there's no way in heck I'm gonna write that all out in this entry, so TTB it is.) #OkayEmily but what is TTB? You know how I ranted and raved about RENT through college? TTB is the thing Jonathan Larson wrote BEFORE RENT. It's basically this autobiographical, originally one-man-show Larson wrote about his struggles as an artist approaching the great 3-0. In the opener, he sings about turning 30 being more like turning 90. You become passe. "Bang, you're dead, what can you do?" Okay, but seriously here. One of my work friends is gay and insists that when gay men turn 30, they expire. (He insists lesbians never do.) Despite the advances we've made as a society, we still see 30 as this huge turning point where we leave the confusion of

Update - 5 Things On The 5th (May 2018)

I just turned 30, and I was thinking of all of the things I want to do in my 30's. Now, I'm not making an express goal, although I know there are certainly a few things I want in life. Instead, I figured it would be good every 5th of every month (since I was born on the 5th) to go over 5 things that I did. Not 5 things I learned, not 5 things I want to do -- five things I physically did this month. So here is my list for this month:  While on vacation, I went on morning walks on the beach, going out to low tide and going exploring. Away from phones and stresses, I was able to focus fully on Jesus. I've kept these morning walks going, even when they're hard, even just by going around the neighborhood once or twice if time allows. No stresses, no distractions, just Jesus and whatever might be on my mind. As mentioned in this same blog , I found something I had been searching for for a long time. I didn't need to find it, but finding it has enabled me to live with s