Skip to main content

Update: 5 Things On The 5th (January and February 2020)

#OkayEmily where is last month's post? You said you were gonna post one of these every month, you know? Yes, I know that, but last month was important in one very important way:

1: I lost one of my best friends.

Have you ever known someone who never really said much, but was always just...there? Any time you needed anything important, they would help provide it, and then they would go back to their hiding spot? But they were always still around to hang with people. She was beautiful, and I'm not gonna go into too much detail. But it was through her that I met Mikkun, that I found the arcade that I did. It's very indirectly because of her and her best friend that I started to get myself back, finally. She gave me more than I could ever repay her for, and I think she knew that. I have to be certain that she did. No other message matters anymore.

2: I played an incredibly failed recital. Which I'm actually really okay with! You learn what works for you and you move on. It sucked and was embarrassing in the moment, but it didn't make me fall apart, which is actually really huge for me!

3: I set up a weekly schedule where I would write every single Sunday, after my piano lessons. Because of this, I've been able to make (unseen) progress. Trust me when I say nobody wants to read what I'm writing!

4: I, like, actually got to play Ohayocon. You may or may not understand how big of a deal this is. This is the con I grew up going to. To be able to actually play it to my biggest crowd was amazing.

5: I did #1 of my school auditions! This was really nervewracking, and to be honest, I'm keeping the actual schools under wraps because I don't want anybody to know yet or ask me a million questions. I have no clue if I'll get into this school or not, but the professor was amazing and totally understanding.

So then in February:

1: I went off to #2 of my auditions! This was a much simpler day trip and I even took Mikkun with me.

2: I stayed overnight in a big city for #3 of my auditions. The downtown felt a lot like New York City, and it really hit me that I'm fulfilling my dreams.

3: And then the next weekend I did #4 of my auditions. They upgraded my room to one with a jacuzzi. Yes, I took advantage of that.

4: Mikkun's grandfather finished his radiation appointments for his cancer. This is notable on my list because I got roped into driving him.

5: In addition, I'm in the process of seeking out trauma therapy for the issues I've mentioned, especially from my writings in October and November. This problem has only gotten worse, and while a LOT of things are MUCH better, it's time to uncover how I keep getting in these crappy situations in the first place. But that's between me and me :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speed: Why I'm (Still) A Roller Coaster

On August 16, 2005, I became a roller coaster. Now, I should mention before that I’ve written about this before. On my old website, I posted an entire series about a bunch of weird things that happened to me in the summer of 2005. It all culminated in me thinking I became a roller coaster. And while I can most certainly say I’m not a hunk of metal four hundred and twenty feet up in the sky, I have a better understanding of why I claimed that as my identity for so long -- and why I’m daring to reclaim it. Buckle up, folks, literally. By the time you’re done with this post, I will not be the same. -- Since the original post is no longer live, I’m gonna pull a couple of things from it and post them here. We go back to August 16, 2005. I was seventeen years old, at Cedar Point with friends, and the day was ending: Solo queue time was a time of reflection. Just four months earlier, my father had condemned me (for being a lesbian) and my mother had misunderstood me. Since then, God had chang

Music - F*ck 30/90, Hey!

As I'm writing this I have about an hour and 45 minutes left in my 20's here on the East Coast. And I realized I'd be remiss if I let my 30th birthday approach without talking about tick, tick...BOOM! (And there's no way in heck I'm gonna write that all out in this entry, so TTB it is.) #OkayEmily but what is TTB? You know how I ranted and raved about RENT through college? TTB is the thing Jonathan Larson wrote BEFORE RENT. It's basically this autobiographical, originally one-man-show Larson wrote about his struggles as an artist approaching the great 3-0. In the opener, he sings about turning 30 being more like turning 90. You become passe. "Bang, you're dead, what can you do?" Okay, but seriously here. One of my work friends is gay and insists that when gay men turn 30, they expire. (He insists lesbians never do.) Despite the advances we've made as a society, we still see 30 as this huge turning point where we leave the confusion of

Update: 2020's End Of Year Review

2011 + 2012 + 2013 + 2014 + 2015 + 2016 + 2017 + 2018 + 2019  Official End Of Year Review -- 2020 Once upon a time, there were five boys and a star. The boys and the star made a promise. “Even if we go our separate ways, we will meet here again.” 1. What did you do in 2020 that you'd never done before?: I know of someone who felt like he was trapped in an eternal winter, not sure if spring would ever come for him. Well, if he were still alive, he'd probably have an entire weeks' worth of soiled underwear, because it has been March for ten months now. It's part of the reason I stopped posting things that I've done every month, because there was nothing to do. But I adapted surprisingly well. While the rest of the world was dealing with not getting haircuts and being trapped, those of us with mental health issues were able to pull out ALL the resources we use on a daily basis and handle it the bes