Skip to main content

Update - Post Vacation

This isn't much of a post -- it's just a reminder that I'm still here.

I don't know if it's just a straight-up fear that this is another project I'm going to end up abandoning. I don't think I will. There were several points while on vacation this past week when I wanted to reach for my keyboard. I almost attempted to write a blog post while on vacation, but promptly decided that would take too long. (That and I still need the world's longest nap.)

So yeah. I had a lot of introspective thoughts while on vacation. Here's one in particular that I managed to post on Twitter:
So I got to thinking tonight about when Jesus sends out the 72...we overlook this a lot because it’s so glamorous to have Jesus with his followers, chillin and teaching them things and what not. But even before he left Jesus was sending peeps out to do stuff in his name. Anywhoozle in Luke 10 he gives specific instructions about this and he said if the people in town do not welcome you, to go into the streets and wipe off your sandals. The NCV says: “Even the dirt from your town that sticks to our feet we wipe off against you.” And of course we always read that as, “We tried to tell people we were right and they went against us so we dusted our feet off and were like, bitches, we out. You ain’t gonna listen when we’re right? We get the glory and you get to suffer.” 

BUT. Perhaps they do that not for the people of the town, but for themselves? 

How many times have we stayed in positions and places that we know are bad for us, but for whatever reason we stay? Abusive situations? Places full of hate and fear? I think that God calls us to wipe the dirt off our sandals and turn tail not necessarily to spite the people we’re leaving, but to protect ourselves from what may derail our faith. Too often people stay and pray for those who hurt them, and instead lose their light. If I have to hear one more story about a woman of any color convinced she could turn her abusive husband to Jesus, I might throw up. Girl. Get the dirt off your sandals and get yourself to a safe haven. (And I’ve been there. It’s hard. But not impossible.)

So if there are people whom you’ve tried to reconcile and it’s still not working, it’s okay to leave. Let God handle them, where they are at. Let your focus be God alone, the light and love that keeps this rock spinning. (Cause we sure ain’t helping that at all.)

There will be more. Lots more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speed: Why I'm (Still) A Roller Coaster

On August 16, 2005, I became a roller coaster. Now, I should mention before that I’ve written about this before. On my old website, I posted an entire series about a bunch of weird things that happened to me in the summer of 2005. It all culminated in me thinking I became a roller coaster. And while I can most certainly say I’m not a hunk of metal four hundred and twenty feet up in the sky, I have a better understanding of why I claimed that as my identity for so long -- and why I’m daring to reclaim it. Buckle up, folks, literally. By the time you’re done with this post, I will not be the same. -- Since the original post is no longer live, I’m gonna pull a couple of things from it and post them here. We go back to August 16, 2005. I was seventeen years old, at Cedar Point with friends, and the day was ending: Solo queue time was a time of reflection. Just four months earlier, my father had condemned me (for being a lesbian) and my mother had misunderstood me. Since then, God had chang

Music - F*ck 30/90, Hey!

As I'm writing this I have about an hour and 45 minutes left in my 20's here on the East Coast. And I realized I'd be remiss if I let my 30th birthday approach without talking about tick, tick...BOOM! (And there's no way in heck I'm gonna write that all out in this entry, so TTB it is.) #OkayEmily but what is TTB? You know how I ranted and raved about RENT through college? TTB is the thing Jonathan Larson wrote BEFORE RENT. It's basically this autobiographical, originally one-man-show Larson wrote about his struggles as an artist approaching the great 3-0. In the opener, he sings about turning 30 being more like turning 90. You become passe. "Bang, you're dead, what can you do?" Okay, but seriously here. One of my work friends is gay and insists that when gay men turn 30, they expire. (He insists lesbians never do.) Despite the advances we've made as a society, we still see 30 as this huge turning point where we leave the confusion of

Update - 5 Things On The 5th (May 2018)

I just turned 30, and I was thinking of all of the things I want to do in my 30's. Now, I'm not making an express goal, although I know there are certainly a few things I want in life. Instead, I figured it would be good every 5th of every month (since I was born on the 5th) to go over 5 things that I did. Not 5 things I learned, not 5 things I want to do -- five things I physically did this month. So here is my list for this month:  While on vacation, I went on morning walks on the beach, going out to low tide and going exploring. Away from phones and stresses, I was able to focus fully on Jesus. I've kept these morning walks going, even when they're hard, even just by going around the neighborhood once or twice if time allows. No stresses, no distractions, just Jesus and whatever might be on my mind. As mentioned in this same blog , I found something I had been searching for for a long time. I didn't need to find it, but finding it has enabled me to live with s