Skip to main content

Update: 5 Things On The 5th (March 2020)

I know what you're thinking. It's super hard to put together a list like this right now. #OkayEmily what are you even supposed to do in the middle of a pandemic? Well, for starters:
  1. I started journaling full-time again. I had stopped for a good bit, only journaling quickly once a week or so, because of how stressed out I was. (There are some of you who know that I have been journaling basically nonstop since 2007. I'm on journal #19.) Ever since I started the new journal, I've made it a point to never miss a day.
  2. I also started working from home. This is important because while I am able-bodied and relatively fine, there are people in my house who will die from this virus if we get it. We have to minimize what goes out and what comes in. Mikkun still has to, but he is much better protected now than he once was. They also swapped his hours so I can pick him up from work every day now :) Work from home is fine. It has its own stresses but is quieter than the office, which is nice.
  3. I started playing Animal Crossing! I've never played before, and it's still mostly just me running around digging up things and getting stung by bees. But I'm okay with this. I'm applying the knowledge that I don't have to be perfect in everything I do to this game. It's pretty nice. (It's also freaking gorgeous.)
  4. I got back all of my information for grad school. I'm not telling here, probably not ever. But it's going well. I just have a lot to sort out, and right in the middle of a pandemic is not the best time to do that.
  5. Now would typically be the time where I talked about all of the recitals I played, probably even putting each one individually in this list. Since all of those were cancelled, I started practicing a new piece, and I'm whipping up a virtual recital to be held on my birthday. Hopefully all of that goes to plan, but even if it doesn't, I'm okay with that too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speed: Why I'm (Still) A Roller Coaster

On August 16, 2005, I became a roller coaster. Now, I should mention before that I’ve written about this before. On my old website, I posted an entire series about a bunch of weird things that happened to me in the summer of 2005. It all culminated in me thinking I became a roller coaster. And while I can most certainly say I’m not a hunk of metal four hundred and twenty feet up in the sky, I have a better understanding of why I claimed that as my identity for so long -- and why I’m daring to reclaim it. Buckle up, folks, literally. By the time you’re done with this post, I will not be the same. -- Since the original post is no longer live, I’m gonna pull a couple of things from it and post them here. We go back to August 16, 2005. I was seventeen years old, at Cedar Point with friends, and the day was ending: Solo queue time was a time of reflection. Just four months earlier, my father had condemned me (for being a lesbian) and my mother had misunderstood me. Since then, God had chang

Music - F*ck 30/90, Hey!

As I'm writing this I have about an hour and 45 minutes left in my 20's here on the East Coast. And I realized I'd be remiss if I let my 30th birthday approach without talking about tick, tick...BOOM! (And there's no way in heck I'm gonna write that all out in this entry, so TTB it is.) #OkayEmily but what is TTB? You know how I ranted and raved about RENT through college? TTB is the thing Jonathan Larson wrote BEFORE RENT. It's basically this autobiographical, originally one-man-show Larson wrote about his struggles as an artist approaching the great 3-0. In the opener, he sings about turning 30 being more like turning 90. You become passe. "Bang, you're dead, what can you do?" Okay, but seriously here. One of my work friends is gay and insists that when gay men turn 30, they expire. (He insists lesbians never do.) Despite the advances we've made as a society, we still see 30 as this huge turning point where we leave the confusion of

Update: 2020's End Of Year Review

2011 + 2012 + 2013 + 2014 + 2015 + 2016 + 2017 + 2018 + 2019  Official End Of Year Review -- 2020 Once upon a time, there were five boys and a star. The boys and the star made a promise. “Even if we go our separate ways, we will meet here again.” 1. What did you do in 2020 that you'd never done before?: I know of someone who felt like he was trapped in an eternal winter, not sure if spring would ever come for him. Well, if he were still alive, he'd probably have an entire weeks' worth of soiled underwear, because it has been March for ten months now. It's part of the reason I stopped posting things that I've done every month, because there was nothing to do. But I adapted surprisingly well. While the rest of the world was dealing with not getting haircuts and being trapped, those of us with mental health issues were able to pull out ALL the resources we use on a daily basis and handle it the bes