Skip to main content

Update: 5 Things On The 5th (October 2019, And Then Some)

With my triumphant return to...well, something, I've got my five things that I've done this past month. If I delay too much, then when I'm 40 I'll look back at these things I've done and I'll wonder, what was I up to the summer and fall of 2019? I kind of fell off the face of the earth a little bit. Did I do anything of merit?

To which I say, hey 40 year old Emily, remember that mixtape? Yeah. (stupid grin) That was a good one.
  1. I brought my Anime Cantabile mix home to a recital in Columbus. It felt good to be playing on 'home turf,' and I really love the recital hall that I've been playing at. There wasn't a lot of turnout, but I'm working on that for my next recital.
  2. I played Beethoven's 5th in the SEOSO concert of the century. There was also banjo. It was awesome.
  3. My eyeglasses were seriously 12 years old, so I finally went and got some new ones. (I also got to have lunch with my grandma twice this month because of that. Twice!! And a sleepover!) I digress because I can see the individual leaves on trees again, and if that is not the definition of self care, I don't know what is.
  4. I started NaNoWriMo, and the rest of the world collectively breathed a sigh of relief, because it wouldn't be November without NaNoWriMo, and if I wasn't doing NaNoWriMo then we'd REALLY be in trouble.
  5. After nearly a year, my partner and I made the decision to evict our roommate. It was one of the hardest things to do, which then turned into one of the easiest, because she is now headed away from our city for more long term mental health treatment. I will probably never see her again, and I now have to make peace with that. I really hope that wherever she goes and whatever she does next, she learns how to be an adult, and she takes care of her children, and she learns what responsibility means. Meanwhile, I'm writing this from the room she slept in, and I have moved in my things, and perhaps this weekend I will see some music composition happen. You'd like that, wouldn't you?
Some other things I've done since I wrote last:
  • I wrote a list of where I want to be in five years. With some of the things I've done here, I hope I'm finally back on track where I need to be with that.
  • I QUIT SODA FOR COFFEE BECAUSE REASONS but probably not Cheerwine, let's be fair here!
  • I launched my new website! Complete with new mascot characters!!! (Their names are Polaris (the girl...kind of) and Sirius (the boy-ish) and they're both me, in a way!)
  • I went to Matsuricon and I didn't die this time! We planned ahead and I got lots of sleep every night. Mikkun had some hard times, but I'm glad we took care of me because I was able to take care of him, and we became even stronger for it.
  • I GOT A CAT. There will be a blog post about this at some point, I'm sure. 
  • I OBVIOUSLY DID THIS THING WHERE I KIND OF STUMBLED INTO BEING A FAN OF BANGTAN SONYEONDAN (and I regret NOTHING!!!)
  • I discovered that it's totally okay to be angry. You just have to find a way to make the anger productive instead of just being mad all the time, or hiding it (which is worse IMHO)
  • I played at my first convention! And I had three people watch me and IT WAS AMAZING
  • I finally got to Cedar Point, and Top Thrill Dragster was closed for the day, but it's okay because Kings Island is getting a giga and Cedar Point's 150th anniversary is next year and IT'S GOING TO BE AMAZING.
Have you all noticed how many caps are in this entry? I introduced my friends to the spoon theory regarding energy and chronic illnesses. Ladies and gentlemen, I no longer run on spoons. I run on sugar. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speed: Why I'm (Still) A Roller Coaster

On August 16, 2005, I became a roller coaster. Now, I should mention before that I’ve written about this before. On my old website, I posted an entire series about a bunch of weird things that happened to me in the summer of 2005. It all culminated in me thinking I became a roller coaster. And while I can most certainly say I’m not a hunk of metal four hundred and twenty feet up in the sky, I have a better understanding of why I claimed that as my identity for so long -- and why I’m daring to reclaim it. Buckle up, folks, literally. By the time you’re done with this post, I will not be the same. -- Since the original post is no longer live, I’m gonna pull a couple of things from it and post them here. We go back to August 16, 2005. I was seventeen years old, at Cedar Point with friends, and the day was ending: Solo queue time was a time of reflection. Just four months earlier, my father had condemned me (for being a lesbian) and my mother had misunderstood me. Since then, God had chang

Music - F*ck 30/90, Hey!

As I'm writing this I have about an hour and 45 minutes left in my 20's here on the East Coast. And I realized I'd be remiss if I let my 30th birthday approach without talking about tick, tick...BOOM! (And there's no way in heck I'm gonna write that all out in this entry, so TTB it is.) #OkayEmily but what is TTB? You know how I ranted and raved about RENT through college? TTB is the thing Jonathan Larson wrote BEFORE RENT. It's basically this autobiographical, originally one-man-show Larson wrote about his struggles as an artist approaching the great 3-0. In the opener, he sings about turning 30 being more like turning 90. You become passe. "Bang, you're dead, what can you do?" Okay, but seriously here. One of my work friends is gay and insists that when gay men turn 30, they expire. (He insists lesbians never do.) Despite the advances we've made as a society, we still see 30 as this huge turning point where we leave the confusion of

Update - 5 Things On The 5th (May 2018)

I just turned 30, and I was thinking of all of the things I want to do in my 30's. Now, I'm not making an express goal, although I know there are certainly a few things I want in life. Instead, I figured it would be good every 5th of every month (since I was born on the 5th) to go over 5 things that I did. Not 5 things I learned, not 5 things I want to do -- five things I physically did this month. So here is my list for this month:  While on vacation, I went on morning walks on the beach, going out to low tide and going exploring. Away from phones and stresses, I was able to focus fully on Jesus. I've kept these morning walks going, even when they're hard, even just by going around the neighborhood once or twice if time allows. No stresses, no distractions, just Jesus and whatever might be on my mind. As mentioned in this same blog , I found something I had been searching for for a long time. I didn't need to find it, but finding it has enabled me to live with s