Skip to main content

Speed - Cedar Point's Roller Coasters, Ranked By Emily

Today is the first day of summer, and...well, we kind of got washed out here in Columbus. So to celebrate, I'm eating my last black and white cookie and sharing my thoughts on Cedar Point's esteemed collection of roller coasters. They don't call it America's Roller Coast for nothing. So here is my ranking, best to worst, of CP's roller coasters...excluding Pipe Scream. I'm not counting Pipe Scream.

Note that these are my opinions, not any sort of official ranking. But if you want an official ranking, you can go elsewhere. With that said, we all know where we're starting --

1: Top Thrill Dragster

Seriously, are you even at my blog for a reason other than to hear me rant about this beautiful thing that's taken a hold of my own identity? My personal feelings aside, one look at Dragster and you're like, "how is that even possible?" It probably shouldn't be, and yet, it is. With no over the shoulder restraints or drop towers to hold it back (Kingda Ka, I'm looking at you), Dragster takes to the sky like crazy. Sure, the ride only lasts 16 seconds, but that just means you gotta go get back in line. That's all I'm gonna say at the moment, but be prepared to hear more about Top Thrill as the summer goes on.

It's number one for 1/2 nostalgia/personal reasons, 1/2 because it really is that awesome, and 1/2 because it really is that awesome. And yeah, Top Thrill Freaking Dragster can handle three halves.

2: Steel Vengeance

Holy crap, this thing took the number 2 spot from Millie and snatched it out of midair, probably in a barrel roll. I quite honestly didn't even see it coming. While in NYC I missed a lot of news about the new coasters at CP and other parks, and to be honest I'm glad I'm back and ready to be a Cedar Fair fangirl/fanperson again. And what better way to do it than to rave about this beauty?

Mean Streak was one of my first roller coasters at the Point. I remember riding it last on August 16, 2005, watching the sun set from the turn overlooking Lake Erie. I don't think I even remember precisely where that turn used to be anymore because it's just gone. The drop and the first curve are reminiscent, but RMC at that point will literally turn you on your head. I would say if you've never been to the Point and the line is too long, you can skip it your first time as long as you head over to Mill. But if you're a hardcore Pointnerd, reserve at least one visit this summer to only ride this thing...probably once. Everybody loves it, and it's easy to see why.

3: Millennium Force

Oh, hello, my sweet love. I arrived 8-16-05 to ride this amazing thing with the crazy speed and airtime and nonstop everything. It was closed that day (for the better), and after some time away I came back to love its solid ride. The first ever giga-coaster (over 300 feet,) Mill is still THE roller coaster to beat at the Point, even against Steel Vengeance (the queues draw the line for me right now). It'd be interesting in a year or two to pit them against each other in polls. Millennium's sleek blue stands out even among the sky, and its rainbow colors at night make it a sight to behold. If you're ready, it's a MUST RIDE for sure.

4: Maverick

Maybe I'm just an Intamin fangirl, or maybe Maverick was the first roller coaster I followed concept to construction to opening day. But Maverick is just lots of FUN! Honestly for a while there it rated lower, but ever since they replaced the plastic OTSRs (over the shoulder restraints) there's a lot less whiplash and the curves are even smoother. I rode it on both visits this year so far even when I couldn't get on other things, and man is this fun. Now if only B&M could take some cues from Intamin on that OTSR thing...

5: GateKeeper

Like, you don't even think about it, but seriously though -- GateKeeper is like that little coaster that doesn't really look like a heck of a lot but then you're like dang this thing is fun!!! Of course, it's got the gimmick of the two keyholes above the front gate, a move that other Cedar Fair parks started to use as well (Fury 325 at Carowinds comes to mind). But other than that, it's just a solid, fun ride! I'm not much into B&M's fancy rides (inverts, floorless, dive machines, and wing coasters like GK) but with the new vest restraints and smooth ride, I ain't complaining. Which leads me into --

6: Valravn

My first ever dive machine was SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa, and these things are cray. Take you up to some ungodly height, then let you dangle there before you go on your roller coaster ride. CP took it to even crazier heights and improved on the original design. Oh, and did I mention there are mornings where you can walk the track and catch the sunrise from the top? Something to do on my eventual honeymoon? I think my absurd thrillseeker boothang wouldn't mind.

7: Wicked Twister

#OkayEmily why is this one so high up? Simple: this is the only roller coaster on the list that actually completely TERRIFIES ME. Give me a closed circuit and to know where I'm going and I have lots of fun with it. Some nerves, but I know I'm good. Send me backwards up into the air with a spiral that decpetively looks like it's too short for my car? I'm gonna die. If I ever really wanna feel like my nerves are shot, I'll ride this or the up Power Tower. I'm getting the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

8: Magnum XL-200

Magnum has its good and bad days these days, like any Arrow. Magnum, of course, has the advantage of not looping. Learn the track, make sure your lap bar isn't crushing your legs, and you can ride that airtime all the way back to the station any day of the week. (With a name like that and that back run, Magnum's still the sexiest coaster at the Point.) On a bad day, though? It'll whip you like any other Arrow, sadly.

9: Raptor

I used to LOVE this thing, and who wouldn't? Everybody did! For a long time Raptor was THE RIDE at the Point, just like Gemini and Magnum were before it, and then Millennium was after it and now Steel Vengeance is now. These days, Raptor's still kicking it, and I'll still ride it...just not in the back. The ride's gotten rougher as the years have gone on, mostly brought about by those massive 90's style OTSRs. I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again: if B&M would replace their old OTSRs with vests like GateKeeper and Valravn, you'd see so much more use out of them. For now, though, I have to take precaution to make sure my head doesn't get boxed.

10: Gemini

I usually get pulled away from Gemini because I often divert my time between the Intamins and some of the 'better' B&Ms at the park. And like any other Arrow, Gemini shows its age. What Gemini has going for it though is its racing aspect and its simplicity. Just remember to ride it like an Arrow and you'll be fine. Loosey-goosey all the way through. Oh, and if you've never ridden, pray they actually do a decent job of racing so you can slap the hands of the guys in the other car.

11: Iron Dragon

Probably the only -- okay I lied, the only decent suspended coaster I know (The Bat at Kings Island does not count), Iron Dragon's always been a hit with kids and even with adults now that it's the main virtual reality draw at the Point. Iron Dragon itself is a lot of fun, and the VR was really cool when I tried it; the technology just needs to catch up a bit more in my opinion. I don't ride it every time, just when someone suggests to.

12: Blue Streak

Everybody knows I'm a wooden roller coaster nerd at heart. I'll rant on about Coney Island's esteemed coaster history and nerd out over the Dorney Park Thunderhawk for DAYS. Blue Streak's an oddity in that it's a coaster built in the 60's, when NO new coasters were being built (that wasn't until the 70's when Kings Island kicked things off). And it shows in that it runs smoother than some of the older 1920's coasters I've ridden. I just wish that every PTC coaster in existence would ditch the old buzz bar trains with the embarrassing bucket seats. I mean, come on! Thunderhawk got new trains! How about some new trains for Blue?

13: Rougarou

I hate putting this so low on the list, but even as a floorless, Rougarou just doesn't hold up. For the record, Rougarou used to be a stand-up coaster, which was as painful as it sounds. Then B&M came in and changed the trains so we could sit riding it now. Except they didn't change out the OTSRs, so it's still painful, just slightly less so. REPLACE THE RESTRAINTS. How hard is it?

14: Cedar Creek Mine Ride

These days I only ride this with people who are Arrow fanboys or mine train fanatics like my good friend from the POE. It's fun and all, but it's also one of the oldest mine trains around, and you'll get some serious whiplash if you -- you knew I was gonna say this -- ride it like an Arrow.

15: Woodstock Express

Believe it or not, there are kid roller coasters at the Point! Woodstock Express is a fun little ride...I just don't get a chance to ride it often. I remember having trouble fitting in last time I rode it, and while it's fun there's only one train, so there goes your queue line.

16: Corkscrew

Yes, dangit, Corkscrew is REALLY this low on the list. I'd rather ride Kings Island's Vortex than the Corkscrew. At least Vortex has twice the inversions. There is one thing I will give Corkscrew, and that's the two corkscrews that go over the midway so people can walk under them...and hopefully not get barfed on. Those are important. Just don't ride it.

17: Wilderness Run

Believe it or not, there's actually a roller coaster I've never been on at Cedar Point! Wilderness Run, formerly known as Jr. Gemini, has a height limit. So this just means I need to borrow someone's kid to eventually get this credit. Doesn't look like I'm missing too much, though.

So, that's my list. What are your thoughts? Comments are open on this post, so feel free to respond!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speed: Why I'm (Still) A Roller Coaster

On August 16, 2005, I became a roller coaster. Now, I should mention before that I’ve written about this before. On my old website, I posted an entire series about a bunch of weird things that happened to me in the summer of 2005. It all culminated in me thinking I became a roller coaster. And while I can most certainly say I’m not a hunk of metal four hundred and twenty feet up in the sky, I have a better understanding of why I claimed that as my identity for so long -- and why I’m daring to reclaim it. Buckle up, folks, literally. By the time you’re done with this post, I will not be the same. -- Since the original post is no longer live, I’m gonna pull a couple of things from it and post them here. We go back to August 16, 2005. I was seventeen years old, at Cedar Point with friends, and the day was ending: Solo queue time was a time of reflection. Just four months earlier, my father had condemned me (for being a lesbian) and my mother had misunderstood me. Since then, God had chang

Music - F*ck 30/90, Hey!

As I'm writing this I have about an hour and 45 minutes left in my 20's here on the East Coast. And I realized I'd be remiss if I let my 30th birthday approach without talking about tick, tick...BOOM! (And there's no way in heck I'm gonna write that all out in this entry, so TTB it is.) #OkayEmily but what is TTB? You know how I ranted and raved about RENT through college? TTB is the thing Jonathan Larson wrote BEFORE RENT. It's basically this autobiographical, originally one-man-show Larson wrote about his struggles as an artist approaching the great 3-0. In the opener, he sings about turning 30 being more like turning 90. You become passe. "Bang, you're dead, what can you do?" Okay, but seriously here. One of my work friends is gay and insists that when gay men turn 30, they expire. (He insists lesbians never do.) Despite the advances we've made as a society, we still see 30 as this huge turning point where we leave the confusion of

Update - 5 Things On The 5th (May 2018)

I just turned 30, and I was thinking of all of the things I want to do in my 30's. Now, I'm not making an express goal, although I know there are certainly a few things I want in life. Instead, I figured it would be good every 5th of every month (since I was born on the 5th) to go over 5 things that I did. Not 5 things I learned, not 5 things I want to do -- five things I physically did this month. So here is my list for this month:  While on vacation, I went on morning walks on the beach, going out to low tide and going exploring. Away from phones and stresses, I was able to focus fully on Jesus. I've kept these morning walks going, even when they're hard, even just by going around the neighborhood once or twice if time allows. No stresses, no distractions, just Jesus and whatever might be on my mind. As mentioned in this same blog , I found something I had been searching for for a long time. I didn't need to find it, but finding it has enabled me to live with s